What is Self-Defense by KJN Jae Jeannotte
From a lifetime of Hapkido training I would define self-defense in this way:
Self-defense is the use of force to protect oneself from harm. It can be used in a variety of situations, including when you are being attacked, threatened, or harassed.
There are many different types of self-defenses, including martial arts, weapons training, and situational awareness. The best type of self-defense for you will depend on your individual needs and circumstances.
Self-defense is important for several reasons. It can help you:
- Protect yourself from harm.
- Feel more confident and secure.
- Develop a sense of empowerment.
- Learn how to avoid dangerous situations.
- Become more aware of your surroundings.
There are many ways to learn self-defense. You can take classes, watch videos, or read books. It is important to find a method that works for you and to practice regularly.
If you are considering taking self-defense classes, it is important to do your research. Ask around for recommendations and check out the instructor’s credentials. You should also feel comfortable with the environment and the other students in the class.
If you are attacked, the most important thing is to stay calm. Do not panic, as this will only make the situation worse. Try to assess the situation and determine the best course of action.
If you can, try to run away. This is often the best way to avoid an attack. If you cannot run away, try to fight back. Use whatever means necessary to defend yourself.
If you can, call the police as soon as possible. They will be able to help you and investigate the attack.
Self-defense is an important skill that everyone should have. It can help you protect yourself from harm and feel more confident and secure. If you are interested in learning self-defense, there are many resources available to help you get started.
Here are some additional tips for self-defense:
- Be aware of your surroundings. This means paying attention to people and things around you and being aware of potential dangers.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable in a situation, trust your gut and get away from it.
- Don’t be afraid to scream or yell for help. This can startle an attacker and attract attention from others.
- If you can, run away. This is often the best way to avoid an attack.
- If you are attacked, fight back with everything you have. Use whatever means necessary to defend yourself.
- Get help from the police as soon as possible. They will be able to help you and investigate the attack.
About the author: KJN Jae Jeannotte is a lifelong martial artist who has served as an officer in some capacity in several of the top Hapkido organizations in the world. He is the Founder of JaeMuKwan Hapkido which is recognized by several of the leading Korean organizations. KJN Jeannotte is also the Chairman of the USA Hapkido Union Board of Advisors.
Be sure to follow us on social media.
- Like our page at https://www.facebook.com/internationalindependenthapkidoalliance
- Subscribe to our channel at https://www.youtube.com/worldhapkidonews
- Join our group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/koreanmartialarts